1/19/07

A Wake Up Call

Yesterday a pretty good reviewer left the site. He hadn't been around long, but he was prolific. He wrote very solid reviews, and made some good weblists.

He left the site because he was growing increasingly frustrated with some of the buggier aspects of the site. I think the straw that broke the camel's back for him was when he spent some time on a weblist, only to see 6 duplicates of each item show up.

Anyway, he said some pretty nasty stuff and deleted his account.

This is bad news, any way you look at it. If there is a silver lining, it's that this loss lit a fire under us to get around to fixing some of these nagging bugs so that it doesn't happen again.

The challenge from an administrator point of view is finding time to keep the "little stuff" working, while continuing to try and move the site forward with the "big stuff." Sometimes you need to just stop what you're doing and sharpen the knife a little bit.

I'm please to say that we've knocked out the most nagging bugs facing the site (dupe items, search, out of control alerts, and a few others - and it feels good.

1 comment:

  1. Man, sorry to hear that; admittedly, the "list item sextuplicate (I know, not a word, but it's not really just a "duplicate" when there's six of 'em)" thing had irritated me to the point where I've stopped adding stuff to my weblists, and that had cut down a lot of my time and interest on RIA, so I can kinda see where he/she is coming from. Glad to hear that improvments are being made, though.

    ReplyDelete

Apture