A Gallup poll reported this week says that 31 percent of respondents said they want to pull out some US troops from Iraq, and 28 percent want to pull out all troops. The combined figure of 59% is the highest support for withdrawal since the beginning of the Iraq war.
In congress, a resolution was introduced in the House that would require President Bush to announce a plan by year's end for withdrawing troops from Iraq. The resolutions sponsors are Ron Paul (R-Texas), Walter Jones (R-N.C.), Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio), and Neil Abercrombie (D-Hawaii). Of the four, only Jones had originally voted for the war.
Meanwhile, Representative John Conyers of Michigan, a senior House Democrat, has organized a forum to probe the reasons given for the Iraq war.
Says liberal New York City Democrat Charles Rangel, "Quite frankly, evidence that appears to be building up points to whether or not the president has deliberately misled Congress to make the most important decision a president has to make, going to war."
Is the Iraq War a war that needed to be fought? Here are some related lists:
- Do you believe the Iraq war was justified?
- Why did America invade Iraq?
- Most compelling reasons against war on Iraq
- Most compelling reasons for war on Iraq